UPDATE 2 (Semi-fix): HDMI Issues with Maverick

So, today I tried to connect my laptop to the TV using HDMI. Surprisingly, it does not work correctly. The image in the TV comes for a couple of seconds and then goes again for a few more seconds, and the process repeats. Any ideas of what might be going wrong? (It is not cable cause it works well with Windows). So, I’m guessing it is either the Nvidia graphics driver or some configuration error.

My graphics card is an NVidia Geforce G 105M.

UPDATE: So, a user post a comment here that might be related to the audio output and indeed. Now, the HDMI output works, I can see my screen from the tv, the only issue is that there’s no Audio.

How was it fixed? I Went to System > Preferences > Sound, and  in Profile I selected “Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output” instead of “Analog Stereo Output”. This, however, shows me the screen but there’s no audio from the TV nor from the Laptop Speakers.

UPDATE 2: Well after trying to figure out what is going wrong with this, I finally was able to get sound out of my TV connected to the computer through HDMI. For this I had to unmute a setting using alsamixer. This setting was S/SPDIF 1. So, now I have both, picture and sound coming out of my TV. However, the picture comes *only* when there’s something using the sound cards. i.e.When music player is on. When music is off, the TV screen will be turning off/on constantly, as described above.

UPDATE: No laptop… No phone…

My plans to work over the holidays were affected because I ended up not having my laptop available. Fortunately for me I got it back few days ago, which means I can now get back to do the Ubuntu related stuff I wanted to do (TestDrive, PowerNap, Update the Cluster Stack to the latest).

However, after getting my laptop back, I dropped my Nexus One into the water…(yeah boomer). Fortunately, it was turned off. I removed the battery, Memory Card, SIM Card, and dry it as fast as I could… I haven’t turned it up yet since I’m waiting for it to dry completely; but, to help with that, I put it into a bowl with rice. It is sitting there for the last couple of days, since rice is supposed to absorb moisture and humidity. Hopefully it works again!

UPDATE: After leaving my N1 to dry for a couple of days in rice, I decided to give it a try today and see if it works… and IT DOES!! Nothing seems to be malfunctioning… I guess I was just lucky then!!

Anyway, good thing is that I had an old phone so I’m not totally incommunicated (Just no twitting, facebook, irc from the phone when I’m not at home… I guess I’ll prolly be suffering from the abstinence syndrome…or not :) ).

Posted in Planet, Ubuntu. . 2 Comments »